Once DVT occurs, getting around may become more difficult at first. You should gradually return to your normal activities. If your legs feel swollen or heavy, lie in bed with your heels elevated 5 to 6 inches. This will help improve circulation and decrease your leg swelling.
- Exercise your lower leg muscles if you are sitting still for long periods of time.
- Stand up and walk for a few minutes every hour while awake.
- Don't wear tight-fitting clothing that could decrease the circulation in your legs.
- Wear compression stockings as recommended by your doctor.
- Avoid activities that may cause a serious injury.